A: Richard Bengtsson, creative director, WolseyYou need a good T-shirt in a great fit. If you have a good white T-shirt, it looks amazing with anything. Secondly, an oxford cotton shirt, one with a denim style feel but which is washed-down and casual. Thirdly, good chinos have to be in there if we're talking essentials. And then an unconstructed blazer with a kind of easy, throw-on, travelling feel. And finally a cardigan is great and super versatile. It can be sporty or dressy, especially if it's quite fine gauge and works under a suit jacket, over a T-shirt or that oxford shirt.
A: Anton Sandqvist, co-founder, SandqvistMy style is very basic, so I don't have much to say... rib cotton undershirt, a plain shirt, a wool sweater, raw denim jeans or heavy chinos and well-worn in brown leather shoes. That's my pick. Not very fashionable :)
A: Tim Little, owner and designer, GrensonHere's my top five:
- Barbour International, Union Jack jacket. Worn by Steve McQueen (of course) and as functional as it is good looking.
- A pair of English wingtip brogues with double leather soles in either tan or walnut burnished leather, preferably from Grenson or Tim Little!
- A John Smedley, made in England, cardigan in navy sea island cotton.
- A classic white shirt. But go for quality and find a premium brand where you like the fit. Once you have done that you will have found a lifetime companion and if the fabric's up to it, it will last long enough that you easily make your money back.
- A versatile blazer. Preferably in blue, but black or grey will serve you just as well. Find something that looks good dressed up smart but also works with a more relaxed wardrobe and you will have something you'll always love. I like British, so it's a Burberry one for me.
A: David Keyte, founder and designer, Universal Works
- A simple cotton blazer. Not necessarily navy blue, but an unlined and unstructured single breasted jacket: suit style to be a little smarter this summer, or workwear style to be more casual.
- Tapered chino pants, with a cuff for the best look. For once forget the jeans and wear the perfect summer trouser.
- A simple cotton crew neck T-shirt (or better yet, a few of them). Grey marl or white if you must, but no logos.
- Chambray work shirt - it's a real staple for every summer, and great worn with any of the above.
- A pair of running shoes. In the summer of the Olympics in this country take the inspiration to run, walk, jump, play football, anything. Just stop slobbing out and get outside and move.
A: Lee Douros, menswear buying manager, my-wardrobeThere is a general feeling of smartening up in menswear at the moment. For this summer I will be relegating my polo shirts to Sunday lunchtimes and bringing out button down shirts in oxfords and bright patterns. I might even bust out a short sleeved shirt (buttoned to the collar) on warmer days. I'll team these with tailored blazers which are softly structured and washed so as not to be too boxy and formal. On the bottom I'm spying slim leg chinos in an array of bold colours, with a cheeky little turn-up at the cuff. When it comes to shoes I'm still a fan of brogues, especially in coloured suedes for the summer season, but I am also starting to feel for an unadorned lace-up on a thin leather sole. I also need a pair of Weejuns ASAP. I'm a bit of a glutton when it comes to shoes...
Marc by Marc Jacobs
Ecru Colour Melange Paul T-shirt
McQ Alexander McQueen
Blue Pin Down Collar Light Oxford Shirt
Silver Birch Stretch Cotton Skinny Roc Chinos
Navy Cotton Gold Button Crest Blazer
Navy Rib Cotton Knit Hayle Cardigan
Calvin Klein Underwear
White 3 Pack Basic T-shirts
Farhi by Nicole Farhi
Light Beige Linen Shirt
Selvedge Rescue Straight Relaxed Leg Jeans
Chocolate Grain Leather William Brogues
Navy Pink Breton Stripe Fine Merino Crew
Navy Light Nylon Twill International Jacket
Tan Grain Leather Longwing Sid Brogues
Navy Sea Island Cotton Blackwell Cardigan
White Washed Linen Shirt
Navy 3/1 Twill Patch Pocket Suit Blazer
Blue Seersucker Patch Pocket Blazer
Stone Selvedge Straight Tapered Chinos
A.P.C. X Carhartt
Dark Grey Pocket T-shirt
Blue Chambray Repaired Work Shirt
Navy Yellow 410 Trainers