Denim, suede, thick wool, cool cotton and slick nylon... when it comes to men's style, fabric is important. It defines the weight, look and feel of your outfit. And for that very reason, this is a good time of year for menswear fans.
We're talking layering. Unless you're blessed with a year round climate that is as sunny as Zooey Deschanel's disposition, you have to dress up a bit. And that time is - well, more often than you'd think. If you are based in the UK, for example, then you're looking at a year round average temperature of just nine and a half degrees. Not freezing. But certainly nippy. Knits and jackets should be near at hand. And right now the UK, like most of Europe is deep in a big freeze, making your cold weather sartorial chops all the more valuable.
So, the answer - as your dear old mum always said - is to put on a jumper. Or a coat. Preferably both. But doing so with style is rare quality.
So how do you do it?
- Tip one: forget the Boardwalk Empire style peccadillos and the Mad Men ruler straight pocket squares. Instead, this is the gear that you want to look a little less considered if not quite thrown on. Leave a sliver of shirt out, keep your jacket unbuttoned
- (weather permitting) and only use your ruler for your turn ups.
- Tip Two: focus back on those textures we mentioned and check out our shoot. Match soft denims and flannels with thick gauge knits. And combine that duo with a third feel - that of the cotton or nylon parka. Go for lined and padded for the cold days, unlined for the merely breezy.
- Tip Three: be more confident with colour. We're not saying you have to look like you're heading to dress like disco is back, but you can at least combine colours you're used to wearing in slightly brightened shades and with other core looks. White with bright blue. Green with blue. Nothing radical. But not just black and grey....
- Tip Four: and while you're at it make it look like you're ready for anything the world can throw at you with the right accessories. We're talking boots and bags people. Again, you can keep it pared down but with an outdoorsy canvas rucksack or a pair of new bucks on your feet, you'll feel perfectly prepared.
There you have it. Whether you are fuelled by the need for comfort, versatility or style in your clothes now is a great time to enhance the layers in your wardrobe.
Barbour by TO KI TO
Olive Waxed Mount Shirt Jacket
Pale Red Canvas Stig Cycle Backpack
White Navy Breton Stripe Fine Merino Crew
A.P.C. X Carhartt
Blue Chambray No 1 Work Shirt
Raw Ed-47 Rainbow Selvedge Straight Jeans
Dirty Buck Suede Crepe Archie Gibson Shoes
Washed Blue Neigh Parka Jacket
Navy Chunky Rib Half Zip Jumper
Polo Ralph Lauren
Royal Blue Madras Plaid Cotton Custom Shirt
A.P.C. X Carhartt
Beige Twill Straight Leg Work Chinos
Cola Brown Suede Desert Boots